By Robert Mann
Here are a few questions for Jindal that host David Gregory might consider:
1. You say you are a fiscal conservative. But how do you square that with your habit of cobbling together your state’s budget every year with non-recurring revenue? Didn’t you campaign against such a practice as reckless and fiscally irresponsible?
2. Do you believe that your Republican gubernatorial colleagues in Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and North Dakota are reckless in accepting federal funds to expand their state’s Medicaid programs? What do you know that they don’t?
3. Why have you not yet visited the community of Bayou Corne, Louisiana, where hundreds of your constituents have been homeless for months because of a collapsing salt dome?
4. You have fired or forced out a considerable number of staff members, state legislators, university officials and others who disagreed with your policies. Why are you so uncomfortable with dissent or contrary views?
5. You have a biology degree from Brown. Do you believe in evolution? Do you believe that creationism is science?
6. Your administration has slashed higher education funding by more than $400 million in the past several years. The LSU system president, Williams Jenkins, said recently that those budget cuts had harmed LSU and threatened its status as a tier-one university. When was the last time you visited the LSU campus, or any other university campus, to meet with students to discuss the impact of those cuts on their education?
7. Do you believe that sales taxes are inherently regressive and harmful to the poor? Is exempting only groceries, medicine and utilities enough to shield the poor from the impact of a large state sales tax increase?
8. Why would you oppose a 4-cent renewal of your state’s cigarette tax and then propose more than a dollar increase in the same tax? Why was the 4-cent renewal an unacceptable tax increase, but a dollar increase is not?
10. You campaigned on transparency. Why do you believe the records of your office should be shielded from public view?
- Does Bobby Jindal have a prayer? Here’s one (bobmannblog.com)
- Bobby Jindal Is Governing Like It’s 2016 (realclearpolitics.com)
- Bobby Jindal’s fictional education “reforms” (bobmannblog.com)
- The annals of audacity: The Jindal administration’s dishonest attacks on its critics (bobmannblog.com)
- Private Domain: The LSU Board and its appalling disregard of students (bobmannblog.com)
- Jindal budget anticipates LSU hospital savings (wwltv.com)