It’s no secret that many of our Political Communication graduates from LSU’s Manship School go on to exciting and successful careers in politics and public affairs.
In last election, for example, one recent graduate worked on the social media team for the Romney campaign. Another was communications director for the Herman Cain presidential campaign. Another was the Politico reporter assigned to cover the Gingrich campaign and, later, the Romney campaign.
Our graduates are working all over Capitol Hill, as well as the Louisiana Capitol.
So, it’s only natural that we’d think about expanding our program by offering it to the Baton Rouge community.
That’s why we created the Manship School’s Academy of Applied Politics, a nine-week program offering training in running political and public affairs campaigns.
Classes will be held on Wednesday evenings in the spring of 2013 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Journalism Building on LSU’s campus. The Academy’s semester will begin with an orientation on Jan. 30, 2013. The Academy will run Jan. 30 through March 27.
Among the speakers at next year’s Academy:
- Sasha Issenberg, author of The Victory Lab: The Secret Science of Winning Elections; writer for Philadelphia Magazine, Slate, The Washington Monthly, the Boston Globe, Monocle and George Magazine, where he was a contributing editor.
- Charlie Melancon, former U.S. Representative for Louisiana’s 3rd congressional district, now a consultant at Southern Strategy Group.
- Rob Aho, partner at BrabenderCox, a full-service ad agency based in Washington, D.C. specializing in integrated advertising campaigns and crisis communications.
- Frank Greer, founding partner of GMMB and strategic counselor to President Barack Obama and President Bill Clinton’s campaigns.
- Trey Ourso, senior political strategist and partner at Ourso Beychok, Inc., specializing in direct mail campaigns.
- Rich Masters, partner at Qorvis Communications, recognized as a top political and media relations expert and media manager.
Read more about the Academy here.
Download an application here.