By Robert Mann
Somewhere in Ouachita Parish, just a few miles from the rural home of Phil Robertson of A&E’s “Duck Dynasty” fame, lives a teenage girl. As she drives about town, she probably spots signs sprouting in neighbors’ yards. They proclaim, “Freedom of Speech. I support Phil Robertson.”
Of course, there are no signs that say, “I agree with Phil. Gays are evil” or “Phil’s right. Jesus can cure your homosexuality.”
The messages are clear, nonetheless. These people declare solidarity with a man who said, as recently as 2010, that gays are “ruthless,” “full of murder,” “arrogant” and tend to “invent ways of doing evil.”
In addition to his more-recent hurtful remarks about homosexuals in a GQ magazine interview, an unrepentant Robertson told members of his West Monroe church last Sunday, “Jesus will take sins away. If you’re a homosexual, he’ll take it away. If you’re an adulterer, if you’re a liar, what’s the difference?”
That young woman knows what Robertson has said. It’s the talk of the town. She also understands that thousands of people in her hometown support him and his views. Perhaps she’s heard her own pastor denounce homosexuality from the pulpit.
The episode has been painful and troubling to her in ways she cannot express. That’s because her parents, her siblings and her friends aren’t aware of something important about this lovely, lonely young woman.
She is a lesbian.
For years, she’s heard schoolmates snicker at tasteless jokes about people like her. She knows many of them believe homosexuality is a perversion.
- `Duck Dynasty’ star says homosexuality is a sin (pottsmerc.com)
- “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson: “I will not give or back off from my path” (cbsnews.com)
- ‘Duck Dynasty’s’ Robertson: Homosexuals Are ‘Full Of Murder’ In New Video (crooksandliars.com)
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Star: A Vagina Is ‘More Desirable Than A Man’s Anus’ (houston.cbslocal.com)
- ‘Duck Dynasty’s’ Phil Robertson makes more homophobic statements in church (rollingout.com)