Search this blog
- The mysterious case of the missing budget cuts
- Why are Louisiana universities so powerless in Baton Rouge?
- Louisiana’s fiscal woes distract us and obscure what really ails us
- Why stop at Trump’s food-in-a-box plan? Here are some other horrible ideas the White House might consider
- Why do so many fearful Christians put more faith in guns than God?
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- The mysterious case of the missing budget cuts March 9, 2018
- Why are Louisiana universities so powerless in Baton Rouge? March 2, 2018
- Louisiana’s fiscal woes distract us and obscure what really ails us February 23, 2018
- Why stop at Trump’s food-in-a-box plan? Here are some other horrible ideas the White House might consider February 16, 2018
- Why do so many fearful Christians put more faith in guns than God? February 9, 2018
Tag Archives: Education
By Robert Mann You can tell a lot about people — especially public officials — by how they behave around children. I’m thinking about the baby-kissing politicians who pretend to care but lose all concern for the kids when the … Continue reading
By Robert Mann Imagine you designed a magic building that enabled a young person who stepped inside to emerge on the other end with special knowledge he or she did not have upon entering. Imagine that every young person … Continue reading
Arguing that education is the key to curing poverty is like saying swimming will prevent drowning. Of course, but could the best instructor in the world teach a child to swim if the student showed up for lessons wearing 20-pound … Continue reading
By Robert Mann What is it about Louisiana’s governor that strikes abject fear in the hearts of so many legislators? Like the Cowardly Lion of Oz, the lawmakers who follow the asphalt roads to Baton Rouge tremble at the sight … Continue reading
By Robert Mann I was talking with a friend the other day about Louisiana’s massive budget shortfall and the threat it poses to higher education, in general, and LSU, in particular. I observed that, eventually, Jindal’s loyalty to his no-tax-increase pledge … Continue reading
By Robert Mann Almost three years ago, I created a blog, which I eventually began to call “Something Like the Truth.” At the time, I had not heard Carl Bernstein, the former Washington Post journalist of Watergate fame, articulate his … Continue reading
By Robert Mann Next January, after taking his oath of office and calling a special session to clean up Gov. Bobby Jindal’s fiscal mess, our next governor should immediately demand the resignation of every member of the LSU Board of … Continue reading